Friday, March 12, 2010

Senate Health Care Bill Unconstitutional?

As the White House and the Congress try to cram the Senate Health Care bill down our throats, and as Barrack Hussein Obama postpones trips to strong-arm the House, and as Joe Biden considers over-ruling the Parliamentarian to pull a "Thermal Nuclear Option" on this bill, I am wondering when someone is going to wake up and state "The SENATE version of this bill is UNCONSTITUTIONAL!"

Let's look at what the Constitution of the United States says in "black and white" (actually now yellowed paper/parchment with iron-pigment ink, but I digress)-

Article 1, Section 7- All bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives

That seems pretty clear to me. If the bill will raise revenue it SHALL ORIGINATE in the House…

Now here is what Pelosi has said about the current Senate Bill-

Pelosi said the legislation will eliminate 80 percent of an excise tax on high-priced insurance plans in the Senate measure

So 80% of an excise tax will be eliminated-- that still leaves 20%. That still means that the SENATE BILL IS RAISING A TAX-- RAISING REVENUE.

Let me repeat Article1, Section 7- All bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives

But this bill originated in the Senate- NOT the House…

Therefore, by a "plain text" reading of the Constitution, it would seem that the Senate Bill is BLATANTLY UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

But then again, the President and members of Congress did swear to support and defend the Constitution… but when has that ever stopped them before?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you. I've been writing congressmen and senators for days asking this exact question. It doesn't seem like there is any traction on Article 1, Section 7, paragraph one!


All comments are welcome- However, Anonymous Comments might be subject to deletion.